10 Tips to Speed Up Your Home Inspection
Speed up the sale of your home by preparing for it ahead of time! Using the following tips your home inspection will go smoothly, with fewer concerns to delay closing.
Tips for a Successful & Speedy Home Inspection:
- Confirm that the water, electrical, and gas services are turned on (including pilot lights).
- Make sure your pets won't hinder your home inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at the home.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs to avoid a "light is inoperable" report that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace dead batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
- Remove stored items, debris, and wood from the foundation. These may be cited as "conducive conditions" for termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical service panels, the water heater, attic and crawlspace.
- Unlock any locked areas that your home inspector must access, such as the attic door or hatch, the electrical service panel, the door to the basement, and any exterior gates.
- Trim tree limbs so that they're at least 10 feet away from the roof. Trim any shrubs that are too close to the house and can hide pests or hold moisture against the exterior.
- Repair or replace any broken or missing items, such as door knobs, locks or latches, windowpanes or screens, gutters or downspouts, and chimney caps.