Traverse City Water Quality Testing & Inspection
EPA Water Quality
The EPA Safe Drinking Water Act groups contaminants into two categories:
- Primary (those with health effects)
- Secondary (those with aesthetic effects)
It is possible to have water with no Primary contaminants above the recognized limits, but with Secondary contamination that imparts a bad taste, color, or odor.
If your water comes from your own well, your water is only tested at your request or when your property is sold. The EPA recommends that homeowners with wells should test their water annually or when they suspect a problem.
Well water testing
Wells should be tested for:
- Coliform bacteria
- Total Dissolved Solids (Minerals)
- Any other suspected contaminants
common water contaminants
Well water can be contaminated with bacteria and chemicals. Common sources of contamination include:
- Seepage from septic systems
- Manure runoff
- Pet waste
- Road chemicals
- Dissolved chemicals naturally present in the groundwater
- examples: calcium, sulfur, chloride, or iron
Traverse City Home Inspections can provide professional water testing performed through certified laboratories that will deliver accurate and timely results.
At Traverse City Home Inspections we can test for almost any water contaminant and provide you with a state certified test result in a few days.